Here are the steps:
- Preparation for the hair transplant
In the initial step of the Hair Transplant Surgery, hair follicles from the back of the head are removed and relocated to the balding areas.
- Donor area trimmed
Before the surgery is started, the hair in the donor area are trimmed.
- Donor area prepared for surgery
Once the hair in the donor area are trimmed it is given local anesthesia.
- Tissue in the donor area removed and the Donor area sutured.
The tissue in the donor area that contains the bald resistant hair follicles is then removed surgically and the donor area is sutured.
- Combed hair over sutured donor area
The sutures in the donor area are hidden from the patient’s hair that are combed over them. These sutures are removed almost ten days after the hair transplant surgery.
- Donor tissue trimmed into follicular unit grafts
Microscopes are then used by the surgical technicians to view the donor tissue for dissecting and preparing follicular units hair grafts.
- Bald recipient area prepared
Once the local anesthesia is given to the patient, the balding recipient area is prepared for the surgical process No trimming/removal of hair is required at the top of the recipient area.
- Incisions made in the balding areas
Follicular Unit Grafts are placed in the tiny incisions that are made in an irregular pattern in the recipient area.
- Grafts placed according to their densities
The smallest grafts (one and two) are placed in front of the hairline and three and four (denser than one and two) are placed behind.
- Immediately after the Hair Transplant Surgery
After the hair transplant surgery, tiny incisions with short hair would be visible on the patients operated area.
- Closing of the Hair Transplant Surgery
The incision marks heal naturally and the redness in the recipient area vanishes itself within a week.
Hair transplant is a non invasive procedure and is on several occasions done on an outpatient basis. Mostly patients are allowed to shampoo after two three days although the scalp needs to be protected from sun and infections for a while after the surgery. The patients is generally put on antibiotics for a few days.
Must know facts about hair transplant:
1) The transplanted hair behaves like natural hair and sheds between two to four weeks of transplant. The roots thereafter start sprouting hair naturally and continue to do so for a lifetime.
2) Use of local anesthesia makes it a painless procedure and the patient can go home the same day.
3) Hair transplant is different from non-surgical hair restoration in which a pre-chosen base is fixed on scalp with dexterity.
4) Hair transplant does not mean you will have a luxurious crop of hair as the result varies from person to person and has also some link with a person’s natural hair quality.
5) Every case of baldness does not have a solution in hair transplantation. It entirely depends on case to case basis.
6) The cost of the procedure depends on the number of grafts. The more the number of grafts, the higher the cost.
No medical council in place, erring doctors have free run