After hair transplant death

After hair transplant death

After hair transplant death, law to rein in salons mulled
After hair transplant death, law to rein in salons mulled
The health department is considering a separate legislation to rein in salons and parlours that offer invasive beauty treatment and surgical procedures by doctors on hire. After 22-year-old final year medical student P Santhosh Kumar died on May 17 following a botched hair transplant at a salon in Nungambakkam, officials in the health department said they found it extremely difficult to proceed with investigations and book cases without involving multiple departments.
In this case, after officials from the directorate of medical services inspected the procedure room in the salon and found it “unsterile“, they had to call officials from Greater Chennai Corporation to seal it for misuse of trade licence.

Officials from the directorate of drugs control seized drugs, including anaesthetics, it stored and used without a licence. The health department then filed a complaint against the doctors with the state medical council.

“It was a tedious process. We suspect that there are several salons and parlours doing similar surgeries but it is impossible to team-up with officials from multiple departments and raid them all,“ said a senior health official.

The department has now decided to set up an expert panel with senior officials from the health department, law department, corporation and representatives from doctors’ bodies to draft a separate legislation that will create an “appropriate authority“ to initiate action against nonmedical institutions that conduct invasive medical treatment.

Though rule books prevent non-medical professionals from conducting therapies, there is no monitoring authority to keep a check on such centres.

“The committee will meet in a couple of days and submit a proposal to the government. The government may introduce it as a bill along with the clinical establishment bill which proposes to bring all the hospitals, nursing homes and clinic under the government scanner,“ he said.
The doctor must check the patient’s detailed medical history, carry out clinical examinations and check basic blood results before surgery. “The doctor must inform the patient about the surgical procedure, risks and possible complications and after-care in detail. Taking short-cuts and avoiding necessary safety norms can cost both the patient and the doctor heavily,” Deodhar said.

Pain management and palliative care expert Madhuri Lokapur of Jehangir hospital said that unqualified doctors, like in the case of the Chennai student, often lack proper understanding of the outcome of surgical procedures and their possible side-effects. “Local anaesthesia is considered one of the safest techniques for out-patient or ambulatory surgeries like hair transplant. However, rarely, it may cause allergy or toxic reactions that are life-threatening. The doctor who gives the anaesthesia not only needs to be aware of the complications but must be trained to treat them quickly. Resuscitation equipment should also be available in the clinic to handle such emergencies,” Lokapur added.

Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this: